Friday, November 30, 2007

Gardens at Christmas?

The Christmas season is upon us! This is a great time of year for us. This picture was taken decorating our tree the other night. Of course the girls were more interested in decorating themselves. Here's the result!

It is quite a switch living in PHX compared to cold weather climes, but we are ok with 70 degree holidays! A few PHX specific holiday traditons:
  • Sun
  • Sun
  • Sun
  • Warm
  • Christmas light displays that are truly "Christmas Vacation" like (have you seen the movie? I'm not kidding. People go crazy with lights here.)
  • Sun
  • Warm
  • Santa coming to town on a Harley Davidson. Truly a sight. Our community of Ahwatukee has an annual festival and all area Harley riders bring Santa in riding Harley's 100 deep. And the Jolly Red Man too!
  • Did I say sun?

The official Secrist Christmas Tree 2007!

Welcome to PHX - land of extremes! How can I decorate a Christmas Tree (or cactus) and plant a garden all in the same day? This is my first real attempt at being a green thumb. The gals and I spent a sunny afternoon planting and now we are seeing it grow! In December! Look at that awful rocky soil and yet, this puppy is growing! Radishes, carrots, broccoli, lettuce, onions, peas and in the far upper corner - strawberries. So, Merry Christmas and happy gardening! Wish us luck! Carrots for the New Year! If we master this - lookout Farmer's Market!

2 comments:

LJ said...

Hi Taani and Ryan!

I saw your blog address on Tristen's blog and decided to check it out. You have a GORGEOUS family. Such beautiful little girls with very cool names. I still remember thinking how cool it was that little Hattie and I share a birthday. Oh, and I loved the BYU cheerleader outfits for Halloween. :) It has been such fun looking at pictures of your family and reading about your life in Arizona. How fun that you ended up there. You all look very happy.

Best wishes this holiday season!

Love,

Lynn Johnson

Brynn said...

Well I'm totally with you, weather-wise. The snow and hats are cute for a picture or two, but how can you beat not having to put Christmas lights on your house when it's frigid!

The garden is so exciting! I got into it with my girls too - we tried square foot gardening and it's really worked!