Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Making the Most of the BBQ - Thai Peanut Sauce Rice Cakes.



Check these out! Ok, the pictures don't do them justice...
Tristen and kids are visiting us from San Francisco. It's been great! But the heat and humidity of this time of the year promoted a quick trip for everyone to Pinetop. Except me. They are enjoying the serenity that comes from Craig & Diana's cabin, the aspen trees, pine trees and cooler temperatures. Pinetop is amazing.

So, when the gals go out of town I usually try to make food I like. On Sunday I tried to make these for dinner, but messed it up. So yesterday I decided to try again.

This receipe comes from a BBQ cookbook Taani bought for me for Chirstmas a while back with my killer new BBQ. I love Thai food and I love BBQ-ing, so it was a match made in heaven.

Here's how it works in a nut shell:
Cooked rice pounded into a 8x8 pan. Refigerate for several hours. When chilled, flop out onto cutting board and cut into squares. BBQ the squares for 15 minutes. Put the homemade Thai peanut sauce on in the last five minutes. Finely cut green onion sprinkled on the top. Man, I love these.

Thai sauce: 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce, two tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, about 1/4 cup of peanuts crushed, 3 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. OUTSTANDING!

I wonder what I will have tonight?




3 comments:

Stacy said...

do you cook the thai peanut sauce or do you just serve it room temperature over the cakes?

Beach_Crew said...

I put a tablespoon of Thai sauce over the rice cakes for the last five minutes of their 15 minutes on the grill. It heats up there. Then I pull them off and sprinkle the onion over the top. Amazing!

Stacy said...

THANKS! by the way, this is stacy lawrence, ken's little sister, hahahaha.