Sunday, April 5, 2009

The PERFECT STORM!

This feels like the busiest we've ever been in our lives. No matter how hard we work to simplify, our schedules are intense and long. We are grateful for hard work and the ability to work. Life is good.

We've had so many changes around here with the baby that we often wonder if we are doing ok with our other two kids And truly, who knows? They certainly subconsciously have learned that they outnumber us, that's for sure, and that they can get away with more. Neeley has grown an attachment to Millie the dog - always concerned that Millie is inside and near. We figured this was Neeley's response to the new baby and a new attachment for her - something she could be in charge of and control. And while I still believe this is partially true, we discovered the real attachment last night (stupid us...). Read on...

Getting our kids to eat lately has been a chore and frankly, it has the potential to ruin everyone's dinner with all of the back-n-forth and pointed orders from Mom and Dad. Well, yesterday as I was off to a Church meeting, Taani called and said that Neeley ate all of her dinner (which has not happened for a REALLY LONG time). She even ate her zucchini & more. I was shocked. And then the weeks of attachment dawned on us...it's as if we saw the light and it all made sense. Yup, Millie is kept close for a reason.


It was the perfect crime and who knows how long Neeley has been dishing her grub to Millie. So this morning when sitting quietly with Neeley I asked her, "Neeley, do you feed your dinner to Millie." Her eyes glazed over and she sat in silence. I got my answer.
I love her spunk and determination. I love how creative she is and how focused she is on an outcome. With General Conference upon us, I am praying for direction as a Dad to coach this amazing being into using her OBVIOUS talents in positive ways. I love this kid. She rocks and is an important part of our family. Oh, the dog too.

1 comment:

The Bellyakers... said...

That is the BEST!! We need to go to dinnner and discuss 2nd borns. THe similarities are mind-boggling!!