Tuesday, June 3, 2008

1982 & Beyond...


I missed Flashback Friday, so here it is a few days late. This is the last picture scanned from my Mom's pile of pictures she brought with her. I've pondered on this one long and hard. I've seen this picture my entire life, but for some reason it resonates now more than ever. Perhaps I am getting older. Perhaps I understand the importance and value of family. Whatever the reason, I simply like this picture, a lot.

My grandparents are at the core of this picture.

Al & Blanche Auernig were a driving force in my life. I miss them a lot. I grew up not more than 10 miles from them (ever). I loved Grandma's food, long talks, and sleepovers. I loved Grandpa's sense of humor, his dedication, his love of PBS and his constant reading. He was always reading and was especially fond of the power of the human mind - he studied all religions and books pertaining to the power of the mind.

And they were cool. How many grandparents had big screen TVs with MTV (when MTV actually played videos) in the early 80s?

Grandma's quilts now keep my kids warm.

Grandpa's books are now on my bookshelf.

And the memory of backyard parties flood my mind.

I remember doing a really dumb thing at age 14. My parents disciplined me and that was fine, but the transforming moment occured when my Grandma told me she was disappointed in me. That was something I couldn't bear. I still hate thinking of the moment she said that.

What would this picture would look like today if we could gather in from the four-corners-of-the-world? Here are a few thoughts:

  • There would be 26 great grand children added (with more on the way - congrats Rick & Elvia!!! I put my $$$ on a girl)
  • 10 spouses
  • A lot of dogs
  • A couple of cats
  • I'm sure there are a few goldfish named Nemo out there too
  • And loads of stories and life experiences that could fill a book

So, happy Flashback Friday (late). Family rocks!


5 comments:

Aprilyn said...

I missed last Friday too. I'll do it today. My family gets together every summer for a big week long family reunion. This year I will probably have to miss it because I can't afford the gas.

Drews Family said...

Ahhh...haven't seen that picture in years. Those were the days. Al would be proud. I miss him.

Brad and Jenn said...

That picture cracks me up! I love the mustaches! Great post!

Beach_Crew said...

Yeah Brad, the moustache era of the 80s was pointedly marked in our family. You know, it was the Burt Reynolds Smokey and the Bandit years - they had no hope. I think Kurt was Burt Reynolds...

Becky said...

Too funny & so sweet! I had to look to find your mom! I loved that backyard. . .it always felt like home! The Neeley kids felt so lucky to have such a loving aunt & uncle!