So, it feels like it has been Hattie's birthday all week. From school attention to gifts sent in the mail, dropped off, etc...(and very kind). It has gone on all week. And at the end of the week this sweet six year old has morphed to a large over-sized ogre with jagged teeth and a hankering for cupcakes.
By Saturday night our kids were very burnt out and beyond onry. You know the kind I'm talking about - all over the place, fighting, screaming, beating each other and thus creating very, very angry parents. It was one of those times where you look at your spouse and say "when do we get a vacation?" Sometimes, and I'm not afraid to admit it, kids stink. We are crazy about our kids, but sometimes they make us...well...er...CRAZY!
Yesterday was our first experience with little league. Both Hattie and Neeley are signed up for Soccer. By last night Hattie cried and cried on the field of a bunch of kids smiling and ready to play. I'm sorry, I couldn't even take a picture. I was bugged at the soccer leauge for booking a game for a six-year-old at 5pm but was even more bugged that my daughter that wanted to play was turning to mush on the field and no one knew how to help her. Eventually we scooped her up and took her home. The week long birthday monster had to go home, put on her fuzzy slippers, brush her teeth and go to bed. It was time to end this marathon of a week.
And then some guy, not knowing I was Hattie's Dad, pointed to her meltdown on the field and said, "You know her parents never bring her to practice so she doesn't feel part of the team." In all fury I turned around and said, "I'M HER DAD! She has been to one practice out of the two we held and I don't recall seeing your son at that practice." And then he had the nerve to tell me that she should have shin guards on or she is going to get hurt. We left them in home while taming the beasts. Dude, this guy was about to get a fist...not to mention all the overbearing parents more into this than their kids. Sorry, that's not me and I was already a man on the edge.
So today is Sunday and we still aren't over it. The beasts still rage. When will we learn? I think from this we have come to a couple of conclusions:
- No sleepovers
- Sleep is good
- Husbands and wives should go away together, often
- Birthdays are just that...a day. No more "dinner here, party there, etc..."
What a life. Such novices - we brought this on ourselves. We have no one else to blame. All is well.
4 comments:
Ry, you couldn't have worded it more perfectly! Thanks for being so honest! Blogs tend to bring out only the "perfect" things in our lives. Your blog entry had me laughing out loud (not at you, of course) but out of pure empathy! Take your sweet wife on a date, get a sitter. While on your date, plan your next get away!
I'm glad to know that we aren't the only parents with occasional monsters for children! Being a parent is tough! And the nerve of the soccer dad...ooooh! I don't think Eric would have been so nice about it. Hoping the birthday spoils start to wane away this week. :)
Mommy's and Daddy's are allowed to have tantrums too! We have come to the same conclusions you have...
Love your truths...
Hey, I was telling Britton about your big idea for the Stake... he was so excited! You totally have our support. That would be so cool... and in Britton's words, "If anyone can pull that off... it's Ryan!"
Ryan-- we had the Birthday Monster this week too. My Anna turned 6 on tuesday and between Sunday Birthday Dinner-- Grandma Birthday Lunch, Barlow family party, Pettingill family part and Friend Party-- it is ridiculous. I am soooooo with you on Birthday;s are one day. We have created this greedy monster who needs and wants it all. If you figure it out tell me because I am at a loss.
Post a Comment