Not too long after we moved to Phoenix, a friend mentioned that she hadn't read anything in such a long time. I laughed and told that I think I had read hundreds of books that year, namely Clifford, Fancy Nancy, Curious George Books, Cinderella, etc. Hattie and I read books every night before bed, a common tradition that still continues at our house today.
I was thinking about the above conversation this past week as we visited our local library. It is one of my kids favorite things to do and we don't go often enough.
So, here is our list of reading materials we've read this last month or two.
Mom lent Ryan this book last October. When she first handed it to him it was brand new and in perfect shape. We just returned it to her last week and it was tattered, creased, and well worn. So sorry mom. Ryan, my mother-in-law Sherri, and I all read this book from cover to cover. Great read and I was so captivated by this little known story in American history.
I have to admit, I have always loved Condoleeza Rice and have always been impressed by her clarity of thought and her real "genuine-ness." When she came out with this book, I heard her interviewed her on NPR and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. She grew up in the 50's and 60's in Birmingham, Alabama and witnessed first hand all the racial tension during that time. Her father was friends with Martin Luther King, Jr. although didn't always agree with his antics. Such a great read. I just found out that she spoke at BYU last Thursday and then headed up to Park City to play at a benefit concert. (She is an accomplished piano player as well as being brilliant!) I would have loved to have heard her speak.
Ryan gave me this book for Christmas because he heard it was a classic and knew I was looking for a good book. Loved this novel and can certainly understand why it is a classic.
Hattie has read cover to cover all the A to Z mysteries she can find. She loves them all. I am looking for another series she can really sink her teeth into. Suggestions?
Neeley is becoming such a great reader! She read this classic from P.D. Eastman all by herself the other day. I was so proud of her and after she told her teacher, was invited to read a portion of it to her Kindergarten class.
Last but not least, we all know Westy is obsessed with cars, trucks, and balls. He has his favorite books that fit those categories, for sure, but we recently found a new love...animal noises! Yesterday in church, he was trying (not so quietly or reverently) to scare Neeley with his impersonation of a bear. Very scary indeed.






No comments:
Post a Comment