Friday, September 18, 2009

Kilkenny

Okay, everyone knows how much Ryan loves shoes, right? Not just any shoes, but NICE shoes. Even more than his love for NICE shoes, Ryan loves really GOOD shoes for various purposes. He has been running, biking, and swimming for years and as a result, has had trouble with aches and pains in his lower back, knees, calves, etc. He heard about Vibram 5 fingers and did a lot of research on the benefits of running with minimal foot gear. The "marshmallow" over-priced, over-marketed athletic shoes of today are doing nothing but injuring runners. Why is it that ultramarathoners, track runners and racers wear the most minimalist shoes? Some even wear sandals or go barefoot and are NEVER injured?

Anyway, Ryan purchased himself a few pairs of Vibram 5 fingers and never looked back. His running pains have all disappeared!



Now, I am a much slower adopter of the 5 finger shoes. I personally don't hate them, but I'm not that serious into shoes. AFter Ryan finished reading Born to Run (see earlier post) he handed it over to me and i kind of rolled my eyes. I enjoy running about as much as I enjoy meat loaf. I can swallow it, but don't enjoy it at all. Despite my reticence, I have run quite a bit in my life and even attacked a marathon. After the marathon, I was certain I could never run again. My knee was so sore I didn't know how I was going to walk. To this day, every time I run more than 5 miles, I feel my knee throbbing. Easy solution? Don't run more than 5 miles at a time!
Again I digress. Ryan passed me Born to Run and after some eye rolling, I started reading. WOW. Great book even if you are not into running at all. Long story short, I myself was inspired to test out minimalist running shoes. Instead of going straight for the uber minimalist Vibram 5 fingers, I purchased a pair of Saucony Kilkenny racing flats last week.
I have been running on these bad boys all week and I can't believe how great I feel! And even better- NO KNEE PROBLEMS!
SO, moral of the story, pick up Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and get yourself a pair of racing flats. (Or Vibram 5 fingers if you are brave.) And even if you aren't a runner, the book is still worth your time.

5 comments:

Tristen said...

Cute shoes! Yours AND Ryan's, I mean. Interesting about minimalist running shoes, it's probably true. I'm no marathoner but I'm wearing the same running shoes that I had when we got married (gross, I know... but we've been on a budget for all of these years and somehow new exercise shoes never make the cut for me) and I wear them up to 5-6 times a week. I've run/jogged/exercised MILES and MILES in them and all of the padding is completely worn out yet I have no knee/joint pain. So I'm believing this stuff about the minimalist shoe! If they ever make the budget for us, I'll give them a try!

Beach_Crew said...

That's the beautiful thing Tris, cross country shoes like Taani's are HALF the price of the fancy over cushioned, screw your back up shoes.

I was not so public about my VFF shoes, but I guess I'm outed. They are ugly, but man, love wearing them.

*natalie said...

I am on the hold list for the audio book at the library. I figured it would be a good listen while running. And I am about due for some new running shoes...notes taken!

The picture of Ryan skipping in his toe sock shoes made me laugh out loud. Love it!

Brittani said...

i had a patient come in the other day with the finger shoes. cool

The Bellyakers... said...

What the _ _ _ _ are those things?!?! They look like monster shoes-- literally! You've peaked my curiosity... I must research. :)