Not too long ago, Hattie's Beta fish, Betty, died. We've had this fish for quite some time now and even though it was Hattie's fish, I was the one to cleaned the bowl, I was the one who made sure she fed it, I was the one who did all the dirty work. I digress.
As soon as she found out this fish had died, I swear, she screamed a scream that made me think the house was on fire. Scared the bejeebies out of me. She has a flair for the dramatic but pretty soon we calmed her down, inspected the situation, and explained that fish get old too and they sometimes just die. (actually, I think I was the one who killed it. I cleaned out the fish bowl earlier in the day and looking back, I think the water was too warm when I put the fish back in? I might have cooked the fish???)
Thinking the situation was under control, I promptly took the fish out of the bowl and just flushed it down the toilet. I swear, I didn't think anything of it. WELL...if we thought we had tears before, we were wrong. She couldn't believe I just flushed her BELOVED fish down the toilet! I was feeling awful because not only was I pretty sure I killed the fish, I just assumed she knew that when fish die, we just flush it down the toilet. That's what my dad did with all his fancy fish...right?
Moral of the story, when your daughter's pet fish dies, spend the extra time to go bury it in the back yard. It will save you all a lot of tears...
I'm going to write my mother of the year speech right now.

3 comments:
Poor Hattie. And Taani. I'm sure Dad can commiserate with her. Goodbye Betsy, the Beta. Love you guys!
Oh dear... sad, but funny. So sorry for the loss. We have a blue beta named Fred if you need a replacement???
When is Neeley's birthday again????!!!!! Hee Hee.
when ryann's goldfish die she is really excited to see us flush them. she just waves goodbye. i hope she doesn't think this is what we do with people when they die.
Post a Comment